‘Tis the season for pictures with the jolly old man in the red suit!
A Santa photoshoot is the perfect way to create lasting memories. It’s also an incredibly fun and happy experience for both children and adults.
From beautifully decorated sets to the twinkling lights, taking photos with Santa can truly bring the holiday spirit to life.
But when preparing for a Santa photoshoot, you never know how the photos will actually turn out. It all depends on how well the kids respond to Santa. But it’s always great to think about how you want the final images to look!
Planning your theme, setting, and outfit choices in advance makes the process smooth and enjoyable.
And, of course, choosing the perfect Santa for your photoshoot is the most important part.
So, let’s go over a few things we believe are important so your Santa photoshoot is a delightful, picture-perfect experience for everyone!
Planning Your Santa Photoshoot
Getting The Kids Ready
When planning your Santa photoshoot, it’s important to choose the right date. You’ll want to select a time when the kids are well-rested and in a good mood!
I always tell my clients to have their kids to take a nap before coming to their photoshoot. If they let the kids nap on the car ride here and then carry them into the studio, they’ll wake up feeling very uncomfortable or upset. Which ultimately means crying!
This is because they’ve woken up in an unfamiliar place and will probably be around strangers (including Santa!). So here’s what I suggest:
- Get your kids EXCITED about seeing Santa! Tell them they’ll be able to talk to him about what they want for Christmas.
- Make sure they eat and take a nap a few hours before their session. If your Santa Photoshoot is in the morning or early enough in the day when they’re high in energy, great! I’d say to make sure they fall asleep on the car ride to the studio.
- Bring a few of their favorite toys just in case they get scared and they need to be soothed.
Outfits and Accessories
When it comes to outfits for your Santa photoshoot, get creative and have fun!
- Matching Santa Hats: Have everyone in the family wear matching Santa hats for a cute and cohesive look.
- Christmas Sweaters: Embrace the holiday spirit by dressing everyone in festive and perhaps even slightly tacky Christmas sweaters.
- Matching Pajamas: Capture the joy and warmth of Christmas morning by having your family wear matching pajamas during the shoot.
Santa photoshoots are a great opportunity to show off your family’s style and photograph yearly Christmas memories.
Ideas for Posing with Santa
Here are a few ideas to make your Santa photoshoot session a hit:
1. The Classic Santa Portrait: Have your family members pose with Santa Claus himself! This timeless family photo idea will please everyone and be a delightful addition to Christmas cards.
2. Santa’s Workshop Scene: Transform your living room into Santa’s workshop filled with elves, toys, and holiday cheer. You and your family can pose as Santa’s helpers or take individual shots, making for a joyful and playful photography session.
3. Outdoor-inspired Photoshoot: If going outside for a Christmas photoshoot is not an option, bring the outdoor magic inside! Set up a cozy indoor scene by stringing lights and laying down artificial snow or fluffy rugs. Have family portraits taken with a snowy backdrop or workshop scene to create the illusion of an outdoor photoshoot.
4. Pajama Party: Gather your family for a pajama party! Have everyone wear their favorite Christmas-themed or matching pajamas, then have your photography session in the comfort of your living room. Add a few props like hot cocoa mugs and bedtime stories for a warm and inviting atmosphere.
The Day of Your Santa Photo Session
Preparing Toddlers and Children
Unless you are the one who’s going to dress up as Santa or another well-known family member, have a conversation with your children before the big day.
Go over what they should expect during a Santa photoshoot.
Explain that they’ll have a chance to meet Santa and discuss “Santa’s nice list” with him. To make the experience enjoyable, let them choose a comfortable outfit and a special gift for Santa to give them at the end of the session.
If you want, you can also remind them these limited Santa experience sessions are meant to be fun and express the importance of good behavior to keep things running smoothly.
Working with the Photographer
When working with a family photographer or a professional photographer who has experience working with kids, discuss your ideas and ideal poses for the photoshoot ahead of time.
This will allow the photographer to visualize and plan the best way to capture the spirit of Christmas in your photos.
How to Make the Most Out of Your Time with Santa
At the photoshoot, encourage your children to relax and enjoy their time with Santa.
|– Encourage your children to have fun talking to Santa.|
|– Give them space to feel comfortable around Santa.|
|– Let them choose how they want to take photos. If they want to stand next to Santa instead of sitting on his lap, that’s ok! This also shows them you respect their boundaries.|
Post Photoshoot Activities
Creating Christmas Cards and Holiday Albums
You can also turn your beautiful Christmas photoshoot scenes into personalized holiday cards to send out to friends and family.
Consider creating a holiday album showcasing all the delightful memories captured during your photoshoot. This album will not only serve as a sentimental keepsake but can also be a unique centerpiece on your coffee table during the holidays each year.
Sharing with Family and Friends
There are a variety of ways to share your Santa photos with your loved ones. For instance, you can:
- Post on Social Media: Share your favorite shots from the session on social media! This is a great way to show off your family’s photos with Santa. Tag your photographer too!
- Gift Prints: It’s a perfect opportunity to surprise your family and friends with a thoughtful gift—printed copies from the photoshoot will surely light up their faces with a smile.
- Make It A Tradition: It’s always a great idea to do an annual Santa photoshoot! You’ll be able to document your children growing up throughout the years.
How to Have a Successful Santa Claus Photoshoot (Note To Photographers)
Here are some helpful tips and tricks to ensure your photoshoot is fun and memorable.
First, plan your photoshoot well in advance.
Visualize the type of Santa picture you want to capture and decide on an optimal pose and framing for the shot. Keep the theme of Christmas in mind and brainstorm what could make your image truly stand out.
When preparing for your photoshoot, make sure to pick the right Santa. Finding a good Santa is important, as they’ll play a prominent role in your photographs. Ask around and get recommendations from friends or colleagues who may have used a Santa for their own events or photoshoots.
Don’t forget the importance of lighting in your photos.
Natural light works best for outdoor photoshoots, so take advantage of the sunlight when scheduling your shoot. For an indoor private session, invest in some high-quality lighting equipment, or look for a location with large windows that allow for plenty of natural light.
A natural setting can create a great backdrop for your Santa photoshoot.
To enhance the Christmas atmosphere in your images, consider using a location with snow or even a beautiful, snowy eve. If you’re unable to find a winter backdrop, try adding holiday decorations like twinkling Christmas lights, a decorated tree, or a cozy fireplace.
Speaking of Christmas lights, these can also be used in the photoshoot itself.
Play with the lights to create eye-catching bokeh effects or arrange them artistically around the frame. Just remember to exercise caution when using electrical lighting, especially outdoors.
Finally, when photographing your family with Santa, dress in contrasting, non-red colors. This helps create visual interest and allows your subjects to stand out against Santa’s red suit. Popular color choices include green, blue, white, and metallic shades like gold and silver.
Frequently Asked Questions About
Where can I find Santa photoshoot events nearby?
To find Santa photoshoot events near you, try checking local photography studios, shopping malls, or family event websites. Keep an eye on social media and community boards for announcements. Always make sure to book your session in advance, as popular events can fill up quickly.
What color should I wear for a Santa photoshoot?
When selecting your outfit for a Santa photoshoot, consider wearing colors that complement Santa’s iconic red and white attire. Opt for colors like blue, green, or neutral tones such as gray, beige, or black. Patterns that feature festive themes like plaid, snowflakes, or Nordic prints can also work well.
How much does a picture with Santa typically cost?
The cost of a Santa photoshoot can vary based on factors like location, the photographer, and the package options available. You may find rates as low as $50 for a single digital image, while a more detailed session with a professional photographer featuring multiple images, prints, and props can cost around $250. It’s a good idea to research various offerings and choose a package that suits your budget and preferences.
What is the best outfit for a child to wear during a Santa photoshoot?
Selecting the perfect outfit for your child’s Santa photoshoot should be fun and stress-free. Seasonal colors, festive patterns, and comfortable clothing that won’t hinder your child’s mobility are key considerations. If your child has a favorite holiday-themed outfit or accessory, feel free to add it to the photoshoot. Ultimately, the main goal should be for your child to feel comfortable, relaxed, and engaged during their time with Santa.